Low Yat Seow DTM is the Presidential Citation Recipient


Low Yat Seow, DTM of D'Utama Advanced Toastmasters Club ( 007564 ) has been selected to receive the Toastmasters International Presidential Citation Award. This Award will be presented at the 81st International Convention in Orlando, Florida in August 2012.



This was Yat Seow message after all the congratulatory message from members of D’Utama Advanced Toastmasters Club.


Dear members of DU Advanced Toastmasters Club;

Thank you for the congratulatory messages that I received; my most sincere thanks from my heart.

Looking back, it all started by a friend, Amy Wan, who asked me to join Toastmasters back in 1994, as I was impressed by her speaking skills when she was an external trainer for the firm which I served.

I assume most of us joined Toastmasters because someone introduced it to us; and that is the magic of sharing.

It was not a single second in my mind when I joined that: I would become a DTM, much less a DG, not even need to mention TI Presidential Citation Award. When I joined, I was only interested to improve my speaking skills.

Another friend, the late DTM Wu Tze Seng, encouraged me to take up leadership role. Along with Wei Seong, we served as Committee members (not even SAA) for one year. I took some roles, the 1st Speech Craft that I took part in: my role was a timer for the entire 2 days. But I learnt to listen.

DTM Subra was the DVG. I attended my first COT under him; and since Committee members were not part of the 7 club officers, I was put, together with Wei Seong, in the SAA group; the trainer was Ramdas (our incoming DG). He explained the role and duties of SAA well.

Then, I served as a Club Secretary. I still remembered Peter helped me to insert the AGM letters and reports inside envelops as I was the Secretary. It was a Sunday and Peter agreed to help me to do 40+ letters.

Later, I served as the Chartered VPE under DTM Chee Wah. He was my President. He can attest how I was then, did not speak a lot in Committee meetings; spoke with little emotions and delivered my speeches by memory.

Then , it was my turn to be the President; and guess what, DTM Sheila was my VPE. She was such a great VPE, not only attractive, but such a good host as we had our Committee meetings in her house in S Jaya and she always treated us with sumptuous food. She also advised me how to dress (at that time, my tie was longer that my belt level). Here it goes: one of the benefits when your VPE is a prof image consultant.

Then, Chee Wah, Peter and I worked together in the Division C Council (back then, there was only one Division in KL/Selangor). The late DTM Wu was the DVG, and I served as the Asst DVG Edu and Training. Along the journey, I met Dr Arul, we helped a new club belonging to a medical university in PJ. Dr Arul was such an eager learner that he even asked me : areas of improvements after he made a speech. In my heart, I was thinking: did I have such credential to advise a doctor and a fluent speaker? So, there is the magic of Toastmasters, sometimes, others can see potential in us that we can not see.

Along the journey again, I met Bernard, Weng Tuck, Ken, Regina (still remember the outstation trips when we travelled as a group on Conventions; it was so fun) and many more.
The most important person whom I will like to thank is: my wife, Waiping. Without her patience and support, I will not be able to achieve what I want to do in Toastmasters. There were certain times in Toastmasters when I was so involved that I spent very little times with the Family, and she looked after that part for me.


I can go on and write my Toastmasters journey; better to keep a stop, and I will like to thank the Creator for introducing me to Toastmasters, I am grateful and blessed to receive such as Award.


Rgds,


Yat Seow

No comments: